Liati Wote community development – Report 6: Creating Awareness Using Wall Paintings
Essential to our plastic waste recovery and recycling project is inspiring people to change their attitude towards plastic use and its disposal.
Illustrated paintings are a great way to create awareness among the inhabitants en visitors of Liati Wote village. Visual displays are easy to understand and communicate the message well to people of different educational levels and to children.
In the previous months, several paintings have been made on walls located at strategic points in the community and along the trail to the mountaintop and waterfall, two well-visited tourist sites in the village. The different illustrations on the walls will become a constant reminder to tourists and members of the community to keep their environment clean.
Meet the artist from Liati Wote, Christopher Gavi
Making the wall paintings required the skills of an artist, and one of the principles of Stepping Stones for Africa is to engage local talent and resources. In the search for an artist from Liati Wote, Christopher Gavi, who is popularly known as Kris, was identified and asked to do the work. Kris is talented and highly skilled at all types of artwork. His engagement is an example of one of the other goals of this project: helping community members economically through direct and indirect job creation.
The wall paintings are one of the ways we try to create awareness and educate tourists and community members on plastic waste. Other strategies include one-on-one engagement, community workshops and sensitization campaigns, and the formation of social clubs in the Liati Wote schools to educate the children, so they can influence others in the community.
This painting illustrates a green environment full of trees but polluted with plastic waste. This situation has made the trees very angry and sad because it is harmful to their existence, therefore there is need to keep the environment clean.
More info about this project can be found here:
- Update Liati Wote plastic recycling program March 2020
- Liati Wote community development – Report 6: Creating Awareness Using Wall Paintings
- Liati Wote community development – Report 5: Mounting the segregations waste bins
- A new board member, Chief Sanitation and Development and great help with our plastic waste project
- Liati Wote community development – Report 4: Introduction of the plastic recycling project
- Building The Green Clinic – update february 2019
- Building The Green Clinic – update january 2019
- Building The Green Clinic – update december 2018
- Building The Green Clinic – update november 2018
- Building The Green Clinic – update july 2018
- Building The Green Clinic – update may 2018
- Projects (57)
- Current projects (36)
- Finished projects (20)
- Personal (3)
- Foundation & board (2)
- Education (4)
- AIDS (6)