Liati Wote community development – Report 1: Strenghts and problem identification
On February 24, 2017, Stepping Stones for Africa Foundation, in collaboration with Jolinaiko Eco Tours, held a meeting with the chiefs, elders and people of the Liati Wote community. Liati Wote is situated at the foot of Afadjato, the highest mountain in Ghana, in the Afadzato South District of the Volta Region.
As a travel company Jolinaiko Eco Tours has been engaged in eco-tourism activities in Liati Wote over the past twelve years. Within these years, Jolinaiko acquired a piece of land in the community and built a lodge. The opening of the lodge was the turning point in the relationship between Jolinaiko and the community as there will be mutual benefits and risks to both parties. The purpose of the meeting therefore was to:
- Officially introduce the organizations Stepping Stones for Africa Foundation and Jolinaiko Eco Tours and their philosophy. This also includes their strong belief in community participation. The initiatives are community-driven and the inhabitants of the village play a major role in decision making during each phase of the project.
- Brainstorm with the community how all the various stakeholders (the inhabitants, community, the Lodge, Jolinaiko Eco Tours) will benefit from eco-tourism in Liati Wote.
- Ultimately draw a social map of the community for development.
Below is the full report of this first meeting:
Our meetings and actions ultimately lead to the start of our plastic waste recycling project in 2019. More info about this project can be found here:
- Update Liati Wote plastic recycling program March 2020
- Liati Wote community development – Report 6: Creating Awareness Using Wall Paintings
- Liati Wote community development – Report 5: Mounting the segregations waste bins
- A new board member, Chief Sanitation and Development and great help with our plastic waste project
- Liati Wote community development – Report 4: Introduction of the plastic recycling project
- Building The Green Clinic – update february 2019
- Building The Green Clinic – update january 2019
- Building The Green Clinic – update december 2018
- Building The Green Clinic – update november 2018
- Building The Green Clinic – update july 2018
- Building The Green Clinic – update may 2018
- Projects (57)
- Current projects (36)
- Finished projects (20)
- Personal (3)
- Foundation & board (2)
- Education (4)
- AIDS (6)